Friday, February 6, 2009

What do you see?

Right now it's pile of rubble - literally. You have to be careful where you step. You have to come during daylight hours (only one light fixture at the moment). And you'll want to go to the bathroom before you come. It doesn't look like much.

Unless you are looking with your creative eyes. Then it becomes a great space with a tin ceiling and tons of potential.

So here are some of the things I see:

I see a place where a kid might stop in after school for a hot chocolate and know that the person behind the counter is going to care that he is alive...

I see people stopping in after work for a drink. Good day, bad day, doesn't matter. You know when you walk in the door that someone will know you. And maybe you share about your day. Maybe you just hang out and enjoy the break...

I picture creativity - from patrons, from owners, from employees. I LOVE to see people come together to have fun and do something good - maybe it's an open mic night, maybe it's local artists sharing their treasures, maybe it's some type of benefit, maybe we take on a project that makes our little town better...

Ok, if I (who tends to lack imagination) can come up with a few things I'd like to see, then you can too. What would you like to see in that building?

9 comments:

Sam said...

I hesitate greatly to compare the two, but I'd love to see Laura's ideas for the Cafe that were ignored or never realized.
-How awesome would a poetry night be once or twice a month?
-A wide screen TV in the back not only used for the big game but a classic movie night.
-A "Milk and Cookies" event for little kids on random Saturday mornings.
-A couch in the front window for people watching.
-Being a place to go just to be with friends. (I'm still working on your previous question on how to make this profitable.)
-There are more...

Sam said...

BTW, how public do you want this site to be? Would you be for/against me doing a post with a link? I'd be understanding either way.

vic said...

Sam - the more links the better - as public as you can make it!!!!!!

One small correction on your first comment - we aren't shooting for profitable. just paying the bills.

Kyle said...

Hey, Steve and Vic! Just stumbled on your blog. I'm excited about the possibilities I see here.

I had a few Ideas:

-I realize this is a little down the road from now, but I would love to see this be eco-friendly and socially concious. One thing I liked about the coffee shops I frequented in Pittsburgh was that they strived to be both. Maybe partner with a local potter/ china company to get custom mugs so that you can reduce your waste from paper or styrofoam cups. Also, fair trade coffee! Locally roasted is even better.

-that being said, maybe some day you can turn the place into a roastery and/or micro-brew itself. If you can make it good, hopefully people will come from surrounding areas to get a taste of your awesome brews. Just a thought.

I know these things are pretty dreamy and would be a lot more work than perhaps you're willing to get into, but I think it would be awesome. no matter what, I like what I see and I'm glad you're getting this done.

I think your company logo could use a little design work, though.

Sam said...

Hey Kyle, maybe some guy with mad design skills could come up with some designs for them to look at. Know anyone like that?

Kyle said...

here's a logo I threw together. Notice that I called the 2brews a "swiggery." I totally think you should do that, whether your logo looks anything like this or not.

Maybe sometime I'll go another route and see what happens.

Kyle said...

or you should rename it "The Hoppers Den" Then your name would be famous and everyone would think it had such a cool name (or maybe just me).

Kyle said...

sorry to inflate your coments... I just thought of something else to ponder. Maybe you could sell used books. There's a coffee shop in findlay called the Georgehouse that sells used books. I can't imagine that they make a lot of money off of their books, but it makes for a great atmosphere. Even if you don't end up selling books, you should at least have a community bookshelf where people can trade books they've already read for new ones they haven't.

drifter said...

Kyle - There is some great stuff there. None of it is out of the question. In fact from books to roasting, we have are / have been talking about those possibilities. Its always good to see when you are tracking with friends.

The Logo is cool. Because of some ideas we are working on for the main marquee, we really want something with a coffee/cappy cup on one side and a beer glass/stein/mug on the other. care to give it another shot???